Myth #1(Mother Nature killed the sport of ski jumping) Debunked

Myth #2(NCAA killed the sport of ski jumping) Debunked Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Myth #3(The US doesn't have the talent) Debunked Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Mind Of A Ski Jumper Part 1, 2, 3, 4

The Ultimate Coach - Ski Jump Training Device

Jumping Season Digest: (see bottom of this page)

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Jumping Journal: February 08, 2007

One for the record books.  Okay, so that is personal record, not anything else, whose counting anyways.
 
The afternoon hours were quite windy and cold around here today but as evening came the wind died off almost completely.  After cutting a new track on the inrun we all suited up and headed up the hill for some jumping.  I had brought my camera up so I could get some video of me taken.  After talking with Matt briefly yesterday and then jumping the 48 I wanted to compare several different takeoff position and see which one was the best based on what I should be trying to accomplish.  I can change the position so radically it's mind numbing.  I wanted to be able to get an idea of what a good takeoff position should look and feel like from my perspective.  I'm guessing that jump three and four tonight were too direct.  I haven't looked at the video yet to know where the balance point it located.
 
The first jump of the evening was identical to the first jump of the evening yesterday.  This time it was captured on video.  Once again I got too deep into the tuck and ended up sitting back as a result.
 
The second jump came back into it normal sphere.  I was trying at this point to jump what I would guess was too direct.  It didn't turn out quite the way I wanted it so I know it is pretty much a jump that isn't going to be worth watching.
 
The third jump was much better.  I was much more direct to the skis from the takeoff.  The fourth jump really came as a surprise.  I was very direct to the skis.  The video analysis should be intriguing here after while.  The fourth jumped also marked th tieing point to the 2006 winter.  At this point I now have the same number of jumps in as I had in all of the winter of 2006.  March 11th I believe was the last day the 50 was "normally" jumped last year.  I ended last year with 204 jumps on the 50, I reached that target on the fourth jump tonight.
 
On both the fifth and sixth jumps I back down and was trying then to see what it looked like to jump the way I was told to jump yesterday by Matt Cook.  The fifth jump may have been a little timid, err back a little too much is my guess, but the sixth jump should have been pretty much on the money.  I will find out shortly.
 
One thing I noticed was that tonight on the first jump or two I was having no trouble at all maintaining a nice standing position through the transition on the landing hill.  After the first couple of jumps I was back to having myself too far forward once again.  I wish I could figure out why I'm doing this, and doing it mostly on the smaller hills.
 
Crash

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Winter 2010
DateLeb 25Plymouth 25Leb 50And 38
Dec 121
Jan 056
Jan 063
Feb 024
Feb 032
Feb 046
Feb 073
Mar 063
Totals133102