Myth #1(Mother Nature killed the sport of ski jumping) Debunked

Myth #2(NCAA killed the sport of ski jumping) Debunked Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Myth #3(The US doesn't have the talent) Debunked Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Mind Of A Ski Jumper Part 1, 2, 3, 4

The Ultimate Coach - Ski Jump Training Device

Jumping Season Digest: (see bottom of this page)

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Myth #2 Debunked, Part 3

Yesterday I talked about how the TV program New Hampshire Chronicle took a different view of the fall foliage here around the Granite state by sending one of the their reporters skydiving.  After that filming was complete, by at least four months and maybe more than a year later, they decided to turn the cameras to ski jumping.  Would they jump???
 
They spent the first part of President's Day Weekend at Harris Hill in Brattleboro, Vermont taping a nice segment on the sport of ski jumping during the annual Harris Hill Ski Jumping tournament.  They interviewed several of the jumpers as well as some of the parents and organizers.  A real nice segment for the show.
 
On Monday, President's Day, they stopped in to Oak Hill in Hanover, New Hampshire to film the opening and closing segments for show.  To explain a little better what I mean, they typically will stop into an event or area and spend "the week" there.  They take 3-4 hours to film all their introductions to the different segments that are going to be showing throughout the week.  The week during which they showed the segment from Harris Hill they did their filming at Oak Hill.
 
During the opening/closing segments they showed the kids jumping off the K32, doing imo's, using the buggle, etc.  All the time they are teasing you as to whether they are actually going to put on the skis and jump.  I could pretty much tell what the answer was going to be starting Monday night.  Their was a different female co-host for the program by the time the did the filming at Oak Hill.
 
Below is the closing segment from the Fridays show:
 
Tiffany: Tom, I think I'm ready to give it a whirl, what do you think.
Tom: I'm ready(looking behind him to see the jumper landing) OH, I don't know if I'm ready to give it a whirl or not.
Tiffany: They make it look so easy.
Tom: It's a little bit to airborne for my style.  I asked them whether you could start learning to jump in your 30s...40s...or 50s
Tiffany: And they said yes, absolutely.
Tom: But you know what, I think I'm going to stay on terra firma
Tiffany: Okay, terra firma does sound pretty good, but these kids are definitely amazing.
 
So the real question today is this, and I will expand on this more in a couple of days:
 
Why all the negative media publicity on the sport of ski jumping?  You may not call it negative publicity, but I do.  I will continue to expand on why I think this is VERY negative publicity for the sport as this series progresses.
 
Tomorrow I'll pull skydiving back out once again and ask the BIG question.  Yes, tomorrow I shall reveal myth #2.
 
Until next time
Keep the ski tips up,
Crash

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Winter 2010
DateLeb 25Plymouth 25Leb 50And 38
Dec 121
Jan 056
Jan 063
Feb 024
Feb 032
Feb 046
Feb 073
Mar 063
Totals133102