Myth #1(Mother Nature killed the sport of ski jumping) Debunked

Myth #2(NCAA killed the sport of ski jumping) Debunked Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Myth #3(The US doesn't have the talent) Debunked Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Mind Of A Ski Jumper Part 1, 2, 3, 4

The Ultimate Coach - Ski Jump Training Device

Jumping Season Digest: (see bottom of this page)

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Jumping Journal: January 03, 2006

Definitely not a pretty night.  It's been a long time since I have had a feeling like I had tonight.  It was one of those 'oh well', emotionless, kind of feelings. 
 
I headed up for the first jump and it ended up being the last as well.  I put on the skis and moved into the track.  I had this strange feeling, one of the jump didn't feel right.
 
I started down the inrun, everything was fine.  I jumped at the takeoff, everything was fine.  I flew past the 30 meter mark, still with some height above the landing hill.  I landed, definitely a nice long jump.  I didn't really notice where I landed, quite often I notice out of the corner of my eye where I land.
 
I start down the remaining part of the landing hill.  I get to the transition, well...as usual I go down.  I go down hard.  As I write this three hours later I'm still feeling it in my tailbone.
 
As I go sliding, both skis pop off.  I see the one taking a nice turn and heading straight for the brook.  I didn't even see where the other ski went.  I knew before I even got up that I wasn't going to take another jump.  I shouldn't have taken the first one, and I knew it.
 
After 5-10 minutes of searching for the ski, in the brook, and not finding it I gave up and changed clothes.  I went into the lodge and grabbed a flashlight, I knew I wasn't going to find it without a flashlight.  I headed back to the bridge and went down underneath and quickly found the ski, black side facing up, in the brook, lodged between two rocks.
 
Something definitely is starting to give me a real strange feeling.  A feeling that worries me to say the least.  Time shall tell what happens, but I have been through this before.  I'm real glad I didn't take a second jump tonight.
 
Crash

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well at least you didn't fall in the river. keep up the good work on the blog

9:37 AM  
Blogger Ryan Crawford said...

Last year I came very close to doing just that. You could say I was just hanging on by a thread, err, ski. Fortunately this year I'm ending up in the middle of the bridge anytime I crash.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Winter 2010
DateLeb 25Plymouth 25Leb 50And 38
Dec 121
Jan 056
Jan 063
Feb 024
Feb 032
Feb 046
Feb 073
Mar 063
Totals133102