Myth #1(Mother Nature killed the sport of ski jumping) Debunked

Myth #2(NCAA killed the sport of ski jumping) Debunked Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Myth #3(The US doesn't have the talent) Debunked Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Mind Of A Ski Jumper Part 1, 2, 3, 4

The Ultimate Coach - Ski Jump Training Device

Jumping Season Digest: (see bottom of this page)

Friday, February 05, 2010

Jumping Journal: February 04, 2010

Gee, is that what happens when you don't jump very often...or can you order up anymore sunshine in the forecast.

Woke up this morning to clouds and sun that gave away to wall to wall sunshine by 9AM. The forecast for the next week is for more of the same. The last time I remember this much during the winter months was in 2001 as New Hampshire was getting ready for a two year drought. We did get a light dusting of snow yesterday so the conditions tonight at the start of the evening wasn't surprising.

I wasn't planning on jumping tonight but looking at the forecast and knowing what the conditions have been like the past two days made me say the heck with it. If I'm going to be seeing this much consistent conditions I figure why not make the most of it and jump the crap out of it. Conditions like these, that last more than one day, don't come around very often, essentially never.

I arrived at Storrs Hill and made my way up the jump inn to find several skis already sitting outside the building. I noticed the name written on one of them, Sasha. I knew who it was, she's one of the high school jumpers from Hanover High School. I was surprised to see that she was thinking of jumping the K50. I figured I probably knew who the other skis belonged to as well. I opened to the door to find out I was right on one individual but wrong on another.

Dan, Sam and Chris was also joining the ranks of those planning for some nice jumps off the 50 tonight. I suited up and headed up the hill behind everyone else. I walked up the inrun and waited my turn in line. I decided to stick with bar three once again tonight for all but the last jump where I went on up to bar four, the top bar.

I put on the skis and got the signal from Nick. I started down the inrun and had a smooth ride down the inrun. It felt more like the end of the winter rather than the beginning. I normally don't have that solid of inrun position until later in the winter. Since I have hardly did any jumping this winter I really am surprised by how well my inrun position has been. I jumped at the nicely at the takeoff and had the ski tips come up quite nicely. I haven't had that kind of a reaction from the ski tips in quite a while. I had a solid stable quiet flight and landed around 32-33 meters. I knew right away the inrun couldn't be as fast as it was back on Tuesday afternoon.

I walked back up and waited my turn. I got the signal from Nick and had a repeat jump only adding an extra couple of meters before I landed. Again everything felt like it was the end of the season rather than the beginning.

The third jump again was a repeat of the previous jump. The fourth jump another repeat. The fourth jump I did find myself with a platform underneath for the first time. I haven't had the feeling a platform underneath until tonight. I've heard it talked about for a long time but I've never even come close to being able to stay I experienced it until tonight. I didn't take to the tips as there just wasn't enough time to think about it and make the move before I was going to land. I held the fourth jump into the hill the longest of any jump I've taken as well. It didn't make the jump go any further than the ones before it but I think it helped with the effect of having the platform underneath me.

I walked up for the fifth jump and once again it was another solid jump down to 35-37 meters. I essentially never have jumps back to back like this going that far down the hill. I believe it was on this jump I almost lost it when I hit a rut going across the bridge in the outrun. I can't say I've ever had that experience before even when jump under spring conditions when you would most expect it.

I took one more jump for the evening and went up one bar higher. I ended up jumping a bit late at the takeoff but I still managed another repeat performance landing real close to 37 meters maybe even a little extra. It was the longest jump of the night.

It does seem strange other than the last jump tonight and maybe a bit on the first jump, my timing was actually pretty decent all night. Normally it should take quite a few more jumps than I've had this winter to get the timing down and then it normally doesn't last long.

This has been a real strange start to the winter. Where it will go next is anybody's guess. I know this is the weekend that sets the rest of the winter in motion or kills the rest of the winter. My plan is to kill it. I keep wondering if that is why I'm having the jumps I've been having.

The mind is a terrible thing to play with..

Keep the ski tips up,
Crash

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Winter 2010
DateLeb 25Plymouth 25Leb 50And 38
Dec 121
Jan 056
Jan 063
Feb 024
Feb 032
Feb 046
Feb 073
Mar 063
Totals133102