Myth #1(Mother Nature killed the sport of ski jumping) Debunked

Myth #2(NCAA killed the sport of ski jumping) Debunked Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Myth #3(The US doesn't have the talent) Debunked Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Mind Of A Ski Jumper Part 1, 2, 3, 4

The Ultimate Coach - Ski Jump Training Device

Jumping Season Digest: (see bottom of this page)

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Jumping Journal: February 28, 2006

Day 45.  Finally, a real day of jumping and then some.  I guess it must means that all the work toward JOs is pretty much finished and now its just getting the kids here.
 
I arrived at the hill around 9:30AM and helped out with hanging up the loud system speakers.  Afterwords I headed down to the bottom of the landing hill while Cannonball was up top raking the landing hill so we could take some noontime jumps.  The eastern judges and assistant TD had arrived and we chatted for a while before heading on up to the jump inn to get ready to jump.
 
I put on the jump suit and walked on up the tressel for the first jump.  I was surprised by the lack of distance that I had not only on the first jump but pretty much each of the first six jumps I took on the 50.  I was hardly getting past 30 meters on each of the first six jumps.  Jump 6 did end up down around 33 meters.  Jump 7 ended up being the best jump of the day and the worst at the same time.  It was the furthest jump of the day but I managed to pull off something I don't remember ever doing before, the A style.  No, not the V style technique but the A style technique.  I ended up crossing the tips somehow mid air.  I couldn't believe that I did it when I saw it in mid flight.  It was a different picture than anything that I have ever seen while jumping.
 
I headed on over and Cannonball had finished buffing up the inrun on the 25 so we could set a track on it so it would be ready for opening ceremonies come tomorrow.  I ended up taking 5 jumps on the 25 and crashed the second to last jump after my mind decided to play some real crazy tricks with me right after the takeoff.
 
After changing clothes and grabbing lunch I quickly raked out the landing hill on the 25 and then made a run to see how everything was going at registration.  All the teams had arrived and checked in by the time I got there.  I headed back to the hill about 30 minutes later and made an attempt to setup my mini-camera on the takeoff.  I found out that I had forgotten to grab two things before I left home so I wasn't able to setup the camera to tape the kids coming down the inrun like I had planned to.  I'll remember to grab everything tomorrow and take it with me so I can do some different, looking straight up the inrun, videotaping come tomorrow.
 
The kids headed on up the hill and I watched and taped them from several different parts of the hill and also ended talking with one of the central division parents for quite a while.  After open training was over I headed on for the team captains meeting.  That 15 minute meeting took more like an hour and a half.
 
A great day all in all.  Now for opening ceremonies in the morning and then onto the competition.  It's tme for Junior Olympics.
 
Crash

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Winter 2010
DateLeb 25Plymouth 25Leb 50And 38
Dec 121
Jan 056
Jan 063
Feb 024
Feb 032
Feb 046
Feb 073
Mar 063
Totals133102